Session 1 Introducing Metaphors and Leadership
- to introduce the nature of metaphors and language
- to begin to reflect on the pervasiveness of metaphors in our leadership contexts
Watch video 1.1 Language and Leadership Introduction (__ mins)
Can you think of any situations or conversations in your work/ministry experience that you have found particularly inspiring or difficult? Can you remember any particular phrases that were used? What images may have been behind those phrases and what effect did this use of language have. Allow a couple of minutes for this task.
Watch video 1.2 Metaphors and Language (__mins)
Spend approximately 30 minutes carrying out your own ‘metaphor audit’. Use the time to look through some recent email conversations, presentations, and talks you have been involved in within your organisation. Make a list of phrases within these that use metaphorical language. Use these question to guide your reflections:
- Are you surprised by the quantity and variety of metaphors used in these communications?
- Are there any metaphors that are used repeatedly?
- How do you think this language reflects your organisation or your own role in leadership?
- Are there images that you or your team tend to avoid?