Welcome & Outcomes
After completing this session you should:
- have an overview of refugees* and the current refugee situation
- have thought through the likely experiences of refugees and the resulting impact these experiences may have had on them
- have a basic understanding of cultural implications for refugees and refugee workers, including the relevance of honour-shame cultures
- be familiar with terms around stress, trauma, and PTSD
- understand the effects of trauma on refugees, including aspects of resettlement stress
*Please note that the word ‘refugee’ is used throughout this course as a coverall for the whole process, to include displaced people, migrants, asylum seekers, and those who have received UNHCR refugee status. There is more on this in the next session, Terminology.
If you wish to track your progress and mark the sections you have finished, click on the “Completed” button below. This will place a green tick next to the completed section.